Have you ever had a situation when you needed to be able to work from anywhere!
Recently I had an appointment to get the oil changed and the tires rotated on my vehicle. So I took my tote bag with my laptop and some work materials with me so I could get some work done while I wait for my vehicle to be ready to go.
My mechanic has a comfortable waiting room, complete with Wi-Fi connection, snacks, coffee and water, a conference style table and chairs, as well as sofas and chairs. It’s almost like being at my favorite coffee shop while I wait for my car to be ready to go!
You can set yourself to be able to work anywhere, too! But being productive doesn’t happen by accident. It takes a little bit of pre-planning. You can make your day more productive even when you can’t work in your usual place. Here are three tips to help you make it happen.
First, part of the secret to being able to work from anywhere is to have a container for your work materials ready to go. You can use a tote bag or a backpack or a rolling bag ready. The key here is to choose a bag that is durable and easy to take with you and large enough for the things you need to carry.
Second, decide what business tools and supplies to keep in the bag so that you have them readily available when you are working on the go. Here are some suggestions:
- A tablet of paper and a zip-type plastic bag with pens, highlighters, paperclips, and a small pad of sticky notes.
- Extra cord for charging your phone or tablet can be useful, as well as an extension cord to be able to reach an electrical outlet that is more than a few feet away.
- Set of earbuds so that you can listen to music or watch videos without disturbing other people.
- Personal comfort items like a package of tissues, gum, lipbalm, and lotion.
- Small fan or a lightweight sweater in case it is chilly or warm.
- Tuck in some business cards and be sure to add an identification tag with your name and contact information for your bag.
Finally, when you are ready to head out, just tuck in your laptop and power cord and perhaps your electronic tablet as well. Add any current folders or project information you need for one or two projects you could work on, and you are ready to go!
Coaching Questions For Your Next Success Steps:
Take some simple steps today to be able to work from anywhere. What tote bag or a backpack or a rolling bag will you set up so that it is ready to go when you need to work away from your home or office? What kinds of things will you want to carry in your bag to make your work portable at a moment’s notice? What are a couple of projects or tasks that you could work away from your main workspace? Please leave a comment to share your favorites.